Follow 1outnumberedmom on Twitter

Monday, June 21, 2010

June Book Club Discussion Questions

***SPOILER ALERT*** If you have not yet read this book but intend to you may want to finish it before you read the discussion questions. There are some spoilers herein!
The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alientated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church.The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels--first love, love between parents and children -- that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them.

Book Club discussion questions: (the answers in pink are my own personal responses)
  1.  On a scale of 1 (lamer than lame) and 5(super fantastic) rate the following:
    1. Style of Writing - 5 out of 5
    2. Development of Characters -  4.5 out of 5
    3. Flow of storyline - 4.5 out of 5
    4. Over all book - 4.5 out of 5
  2. Given the same circumstances, would you have made the same choice regarding hiding the illness that Steve did?  I believe that I would do the same thing. It was the only way for them to love him for who he was and for him to know the real people his children had become. It is sad that they found out the way they did, but I think it was for the best. Ronnie, especially, will not have to go through life having to wonder what sort of relationship she could have had.
  3. What was your most favorite part? When Steve boarded up the piano when Ronnie said she didn't want to see it anymore. He was doing whatever it took for her to know that he loved her more than those keys.
  4. What was your least favorite part? Everything about Marcus. Once again their is just one character that drives me nuts. The sad part is that it is all out of jealousy. Marcus doesn't have the things the others have, and not to material, but faith, self-confidence, and happiness. And he just wants to make everyone as miserable as him.
  5. What did you "not see coming"? Galadriel turning around. I was sure she was a lost cause, sadly. I was very happy to see that she was able to see the bigger picture after her accident. I was also a little surprised to learn the Marcus and his gang didn't just witness the fire, but actually started it.
  6. Do you think Will made a good choice in transferring schools?  I have to say that for the longest time "John" was my favorite Nicholas Sparks character (from Dear John) but Will might at least tie for my favorite. I love that he gave her the time to find her own way so that she would know she could before he came back to her.  
  7. What was the most important value Steve taught his children in this last summer?  I think patience was the prevailing theme of the book. He taught them that when something really matters, you have to be patient with it. Patience is something I am constantly working on with myself, as well as trying to teach my children.  
  8. Will you read any more of Sparks' books? I have read several of Sparks' other books - Dear John, The Notebook, and A Walk to Remember. I really enjoy the realistic nature of his stories. It is very rarely ever a "Happily Ever After" and I love the morals he "teaches" without being preachy. I will definitely be reading more from him. I think the next I will choose is The Guardian.

You can post your answers to these questions, as well as any comments and questions to other members in a comment using the link at the bottom of this post. Or you can create a post on your own blog and link back to us using the Linky! Hopefully we can start a dialogue about this book. Please remember that this Book Club is a new concept for me so an constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. I want this to be OUR club not MINE!










1 comment:

  1. I really love this book club and I hope you continue. Hopefully you will get more participation!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love love to hear what other people think - share your thoughts so we can start a dialogue!