Follow 1outnumberedmom on Twitter

Monday, August 30, 2010

Sample Article: Top Ten Ways to Survive the End of Summer by Elin Hilderbrand

ELIN HILDERBRAND’S TOP TEN WAYS TO SURVIVE THE END OF SUMMER
The end of summer is indeed bittersweet, and no place more so than here on Nantucket. Being the author of nine (soon to be ten) summer novels and a real summer person, I find the ending of summer positively excruciating! Here are some of the ways I like to celebrate the final days…

10. Hit the farm market. I buy corn on the cob from Bartlett Farm here on Nantucket every night that we’re home for dinner, and I always get a few extra ears, cut the corn off the cob, and freeze it for the winter. And I buy pounds and pounds of Roma tomatoes and turn them into sauce. Yum!

9. Get out on the water. Pond, river, lake, swimming pool…or here, ocean. I will go to the beach every day until the middle of October, but these last days of August and first of September, are the very finest beach days. On the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, we do a lobster bake, complete with a beach bonfire and s’mores, and we turn our cars’ headlights on the ocean and the kids swim in the dark.

8. Baseball game. I suffered through a very long Little League All-Star season with my older son (last game on July 27th) but now I find I miss it. I’m getting tickets to the Red Sox!

7. Get out on the water, part 2. But go in a boat: rowboat, canoe, kayak, sailboat, power boat. We always do a sunset cocktail cruise on Labor Day weekend with sushi and lobster rolls, and my dear friend Margie’s birthday is on September 2 and the way we celebrate is to take the launch up harbor to the Wauwinet Inn for an al fresco lunch.

For the rest of the tips visit: ELIN HILDERBRAND


0 Busy Moms Opinions:

Post a Comment

I love love love love to hear what other people think - share your thoughts so we can start a dialogue!